SerialManeater
We used to light lanterns around the house. Every night. We had 20 in total. Blue, green, red. We were one of seven houses in that row. And every night, all seven of us had our lanterns up. Us kids playing outside. Guessing which night the angel came down and gave us the Holy Book

We used to run outside and play. Every night of the fasting month. My father used to spend hundreds just to keep us entertained. I remember the stash of fireworks. I remember having to ration it for a month. How my father stepped outside, took the one that had to be held up and let it fly into the sky.

I remember how all of us front row kids would meet up. One group, one band. My mother yelling at my brother to make sure nothing happens to me

We used to sit in front of the tv. Us siblings. Watching as that all powerful man declared the day that Eid was going to fall on. I remember running outside yelling loudly to announce the day.

At work today, I mentioned that when I have kids (not if, mind you. When) I want to chase them outside to play. Let them climb trees and fall. Learn how to ride a bicycle.

Then I remembered. Its not even safe anymore. People in my country will come and kidnap your children. They will sexually assault them. They will rape them. They will mutilate the bodies of innocent babies and stuff them in bags and leave them by the side of the road.

What has happened to my country that when I have children, they would not be able to go out and smell the rain on their skin. Be dragged by friends on coconut leaves. Play house outdoors while forcing their brother to eat their pretend cooking?

Happy Eid everyone...
0 Responses