SerialManeater
So Im trying to save up. Why? well, maybe because I looked into my bank account and talked to people and realized that I really havent saved very much in my past 3 years of working. Maybe because I realized Ive squandered quite a lot and am disapointed at my lack of control and appreciation. Maybe because I think I have lost the feeling. That feeling of appreciation of what I have.

So anyways, I am setting a goal for myself, trying to live within my new set goals. Not easy, especially when the funds are so easy to access, so Im trying to be disciplined and move a set amount to a fund that would be extremely difficult to access. Maybe that way I wont just rush through my entire salary.

Anyways, I thought I would share with you some of the things Ive realized.

1. Shop your closet.

People have been talking about this a lot, especially in these challenging times. Ive realized its really true though. Cleaning up your closet once in a while, you realize some things that you might have forgotten, or think up new combinations for your clothes. Take a look at it and see what basics you might be short on. i.e. black spaghetti tops, white shirts. And only replenish those. Also, imagine what else you can wear it with, only then, get them. And as a further filter, make sure you can wear it for a while. Not just a weekend.

2. Sell your stuff.

In my country, I dont think flea markets are a norm. Theyre starting to be, slowly. But things like garage sales deff dont happen here. If youre interested, you can sell off your pre-loved items at a designated flea market. Just google around for your local community ones. Im selling my stuff on 31st Aug. If interested to know where, let me know. Lots of working clothes and shoes (things that I seriously cannot fit anymore, but is really good stuff)

3. Write up a list

When grocery/ errand shopping, write down a list of things that you need. And try as much as possible to abide the list only. It at least focuses u and deters u from shopping around. Also, bring your own bag. Nowadays stores are giving small discounts if you dont use plastic

4. Check your credit card points.

I never checked this since I am actually quite tech illiterate. I even wanted to get the BFsquared (Thats The Boyfriend and The Best Friend) to try and redeem this for me. But anyways, I realized the other day I can just check it online! hahahha and then! even better! I realized that they can give you cash back. So seeing that I use my credit card for a lot of big purchases related to my job (i.e. hotels) I actually accumulated enough credit card points to pay off 1,000 off my credit card. That was pretty sweet actually

5. Check your mall card points

So, I generally redeem these and then just give it over to my mom. But today my mom wasnt around so I decided to use it. Results? My 100 grocery bills? I just paid 12 for

=D

So anyways, thats my few tips on how to save up cash/ be smart about spending. Any more tips from u guys? Would be great to hear what else can be done
1 Response
  1. Silverwolf Says:

    good work, lady.

    here's another one which is relatively painless and feelgood. on sundays, take out all the gold coins in your wallet and put them in a jar. you won't feel it and by month's end you'll have at least $20-$40 to indulge in whatever you fancy.

    reassess - have a gym you never use? cancel the membership. signed up for weekly yoga class but you never go? cancel your subscription. things unused are wasted, no matter how good a bargain they are.

    Downsize and delay. put off purchases until you really really need them. don't buy things "just in case" because unless you use them they're just a waste of space.

    get rid of buyers remorse. never buy anything at the first go. put it back and walk away. if you are still thinking about it 7 days later, go back and buy it. otherwise, you don't want it enough.

    am in the same boat as you and trying to save, so good luck and have fun on 31st aug at the markets! xx