SerialManeater
I guess its been a while since I wrote about things other than men. And after a while, I guess that can be boring.

The most recent election was one of the most fascinating one that we've had. Ever. Pivotal changes happened when the government coalition that had ruled for about 50 years was brought crumbling down to its knees losing 5 major states.

What are the implications? The rich states are gone. The policies that protect the rights of certain racial groups wiped out in the north.

There has been some backlash on that abolishment of what some people consider their "right"

Ive always been against the new economic policy. I dont think Malays need to have special rights over someone else just because we were born with certain color skin. I dont think we need "help". And the thing that pissed me off the most was when people would ask if my prestigious company had a Malay "quota" and to say to me that I got my scholarship because Im Malay.

Here's a little tip to you. I got here because I busted my ass, just like all the chinese, just like all the other Malays who have succeeded. Do not try to demean my achievements by saying it is because of the color of my skin. Its not. Did the NEP help me? to be honest I dont know. I think it might have helped my parents way back when it was needed.

Its not anymore. Its a good thing theyre taking it away. We are after all, all equals. I am not handicapped, my people are not handicapped. We can make it on our own thank you very much.

Plus. So many of those higher ups are abusing the NEP. Its not doing what its meant to do, which is to protect the poor. Lets base the help on need now, not race.

I agree with this statement...


Nazri: We may see end of NEP

By SHAHANAAZ HABIB

Newsdesk@thestar.com.my

KUALA LUMPUR: The election results signal the beginning of the possible demise of the New Economic Policy (NEP) and special rights for the Malays, said Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz.

The Umno supreme council member said it appeared that the Malays, especially in the town areas, had become more confident now and felt they could compete with the other races on a level playing field.

“We (Umno) have to really sit down and think. It looks like the educated Malays do not care about Malay rights anymore,” he said when contacted.

“The Malay doctors, lawyers, engineers feel they have made it on their own merit.

“It looks like the NEP is not something that can be used to persuade the Malays to support the Barisan Nasional.

“The Malays are saying ‘you can’t scare us by talking about us losing our rights, because we are here on our own merit’.”

Nazri said it looked like some Malays felt that the NEP was unfair, and questioned why special rights should be given to the Malays.

He described the new confidence among the Malays as good for the Malay psyche.

In the just concluded election, the Barisan only managed a simple majority in Parliament, and lost five states (Kedah, Selangor, Kelantan, Penang and Perak) to the Opposition.

The Opposition had largely said they would dismantle the NEP and put in a place a new affirmative action policy based on need rather than race.

Nazri, who retained his Padang Rengas parliamentary seat by a majority of 1,749 votes, said he barely survived the political tsunami.

He said the youngsters – Chinese, Indians and Malays – who returned from Kuala Lumpur to vote in Perak had tried to persuade their parents, who are Barisan supporters, to either not go out to vote or vote for the Opposition.

“I only survived because of my personal touch with the voters,” he said.

He believed the political landscape in the country had changed irreversibly and that all parties would now have to work harder.

“Every wakil rakyat will have to work to win the hearts of the people. This is good for Malaysia because, at the end of the day, it is the rakyat who benefits,” he said.
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    actually, it probably did help you get your scholarship; not that you aren't outstanding anyway :), but i remember a lot my chinese friends who did just as well (some even better) than i did, didn't get the scholarship (yay for my RSG days pffft). AND i remember this bumiputra kid during the JPA orientation who got *drumroll* ONE 'A'. i kid you not. ONE! ONE!